West End has been a valued partner with the Quinpool Road community and beyond since its inception.
The Early Years
West End Baptist Church traces its roots to a missionary vision in a private home on Chestnut Street in October 1885.
A year later, the Baptist Mission erected a building at the corner of Quinpool Road and Preston Street. (Name?)
In 1890, the Quinpool Road Baptist Church was organized with a membership of 31. A year later, the name was changed to West End Baptist Church. The Rev. Josiah Webb was the first Pastor.
In 1905, under the leadership of Rev. George A. Lawson, West End decided to move to our present site and erect a new building. The doors opened on November 5, 1905.
Owing to the growth of the Bible school, the church began building an extra wing in 1907. It was a time of triumph that turned to tragedy when the building was destroyed by a great fire on the night of October 23, 1907.
At a prayer meeting that night, Pastor Lawson provided inspiration of hope and courage amid calamity, encouraging the discourage congregation to rise up and rebuild at once. This they did, and the dedication of the splendid new building was celebrated on July 5, 1908.